Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cora's birthday

Cora's birthday was a very good day for our family. For those of you that don't know our Cora, she was born on May 11, 2000 with a fatal birth defect. We knew before she was born that should would not survive. She lived for about an hour and a half. It was an amazing day that Paul & I will never forget. A lot of emotions went into that day. For her birthday Paul and I try to go to the temple. We usually do an endowment session, but Paul wanted to do sealings instead. I am so glad that he did because it was an amazing experience. We ended up sealing daughters to parents. We didn't plan it that way it's just what needed to be done. As a parent many of you would probably agree that you worry about your children no matter where they are. If they aren't with you, you just have a worry in the back of your mind that makes you want to know that they are ok. Even if they are with someone you trust with your whole heart. My prayers were answered that day in the temple and I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father that loves his children enough to give them undeniable answers to righteous requests. We had an unforgettable event happen and for that I am extremely grateful to my Heavenly Father and for his love.
That night for dinner we went and picked up some Subway and Jimmy Johns (for me) and went out to Cora's grave at Tonaquint Cemetery. We have made it a tradition to go out there with the whole family and just sit and talk about her and what she would be doing at this age. We got her some white roses and a Happy Birthday balloon. When we found out about Cora's birth defect we had the unfortunate task of picking a burial plot. With Tonaquint being completley empty because it was so new we pretty much were able to choose any plot that we wanted. We chose one that is located near a Fruitless Mulberry tree. At the house that I grew up in we had a huge one in our front yard. I climbed that tree all the time. It just seemed right to bury her by the same kind of tree. I think it was a comfort thing for us. Every year we have the kids climb the tree. Cam was able to get up there this year


We had a really good time with the kids at the cemetery. I believe with all my heart that you can feel her spirit out there and I know the kids can feel it. It's the one place that all of us can go to remember her and get to feel of her love. We miss her immensely, but we know that through the Plan of Salvation that our Heavenly Father and Christ prepared for us we will be with her again. It is our responsibility to now live as righteous as possible so that we can be with her again! Thank you to all of you that showed your love and support to our family on this day. Whether it was by posts on Facebook, babysitting so that we could go to the temple, by leaving a plant at her grave or just by thinking of us and remembering Cora. We have wonderful friends and family that are truly amazing. We are a very blessed family!

8 comments:

  1. I can't believe that 9 years has past! But I'm glad you were able to spend time with her and you had great experiences in the Temple. I love the picture of all of your babies together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? 9 years? I can't believe that either. Sounds and looks like you had a very special day with your family. I think that is awesome that you have kept her so real in your family. On Monday I told Madison that it was Cora's birthday and she thought that was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are blessed to have YOU in our lives. We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your family really is truly special. You all touch my life in so many ways. Thanks for sharing your experience on her birthday -- it sounds like it was so special. And your pictures are too cute. Thanks for being such a positive example in my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather you and Paul are amazing examples to me. I am so glad that we have the Plan of Salvation. Thanks for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to Cora! 9 years wow thats crazy! I remember babysitting Alan that night and he was sleep walking like a crazy man haha:) That tree has gotten huge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful way to honor your daughter, I think your idea of attending the temple and having a picnic at her gravesite with your family every year is perfect...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete